Pages

Monday, December 15, 2014

Lego Organization PreOccupation, Otherwise Entitled "My Lego Addiction"


Oh yeah--there's a little instruction booklet in there.
I'm not OCD.  I'm not even a clean freak, although I do appreciate a tidy home.  So, what is it with this Lego thing I have?

In the spirit of giving every affliction, real or otherwise, a meaningless acronym for a title, I'm going to call this "LOP":  Lego Organization Preoccupation.  For others who suffer from the same malady, symptoms may include:  frustration at Lego blocks strewn about house and home, an inability to leave your child's Legos simply dumped altogether in one great big container, browsing Pinterest for hours in the hopes of discovering new ways of organizing these colorful little instruments of foot torture.  Here's a link by the Kid's Activities Blog to 37 ways to organize Legos so I know I am not alone.  http://kidsactivitiesblog.com/55067/lego-organization-ideas

At first, I tried to create a logical reason for my Lego organizing fanaticism.  I said, "If I label small containers by color, my four year old can learn his color words".  I said, "My organization is going to teach system and structure skills to my son."  I said, "Isn't anyone else bothered by everything being dumped together in one great heap???!!!!"
Make it stop!!!

My husband laughs at me.  My son loves it because when his Lego mess gets too much for me, I join him in his room and reorganize it all while he plays with his Legos close by.  This is how Mommy plays Legos, of course.  Even if she calls it "cleaning".  He'll even come over every once in awhile to check up on me and see how I'm doing and offer suggestions to "help" me with my self-appointed task.  I'm actually glad he likes me to mess with his stuff, because if he didn't I might be forced to creep into his room at night while he's asleep, my LOP is seriously that bad.
See the baggie nearby?  That's what I'm talkin' about.

The real problem is that there is no good way to organize Legos.  Seriously.  You start by color.  But do you know how many different colors of "green" legos actually exist?  And then, when your green Legos are heaped so high that the lid won't fit on their container (purchased at Dollar Tree expressly for this purpose, I might add), you are then tempted to organize by size instead.  It's rough to dig through an entire container of green Legos in search of one little two piece.  And I have a lot of baby food containers hanging around these days. (I knew I was hanging onto those for a good reason!)
A use for baby food containers!!


Now of course, if you have a child at home with Legos, you know that the kits come with everything needed to make the item advertised so colorfully on the box.  There's an instruction booklet which your child can effortlessly follow, even without being able to read.  It's brilliant.  But once the pieces in that kit become mixed in with all the other Legos in your house, ever using that instruction booklet again is over.  Even if you have the instruction booklets beautifully organized and orderly placed in little sleeves inside of a binder.  Yes, I've done that, too.

The instruction booklet binder.
So, here's the new LOP resolution I currently follow:  1.  You bring home kit.  2.  You make amazing creation.  3.  Mommy hands you a plastic baggie when you are ready to take amazing creation apart again.  4.  Baggie with all parts and the instruction booklet all go back into the box that the kit came in.

But before I came to the resolution that this is how all future kits must be handled, a bunch of Legos, (and Kreo and Tyco bricks, and Construction Blocks, and Megabloks) had crept into our house and they must still be organized...somehow.
Must stay organized...at all costs...*gasp*


I know what you're thinking.  The psyche of my poor child will be damaged forever if I continue to enter his room expressly to organize his toys with overly excessive systems.  (I know, I know.  I've seen "The Lego Movie".  I  promise I don't use the Kraggle, however tempteed I might be!)  Well, not to fear.  His father bought him a huge container of random blocks that I am not allowed to touch.  See?

This is where the boy becomes a Master Builder, with not one instruction booklet to hamper his innate creativity.  Organization be damned. 

So, what to do with my LOP?  I'm not too worried about it.  I've got a plan in place now. (Insert maniacal laughter).  Every future kit that arrives in our house goes into its own container along with its instruction booklet and the loose little Lego buggers that get slung around the house from time to time (and inevitably get stepped on) will get thrown in the Tyco bucket.  I am NOT allowed to touch the Tyco bucket.  I am not allowed to touch the Tyco bucket.  *Repeats to self...*

This tiny lego turkey kit fit perfectly in a baby food container, with it's little instruction page all folded up and tucked in, too.  The turkey decal was an extra I had floating around from Seasonal window decals picked up at Dollar Tree.
 So the kits are all organized and my Master Builder can still create to his heart's content.  In all honesty, I think my son has got it nailed.  Lego Organization PreOccupation is just Mommy's way of playing with Legos.  

No comments:

Post a Comment